Monday, June 21, 2010

100 Mile Dinner

There is a movement to eat local that seems to be popular these days. There are also a ton of variations of the "eat local" motto. Some practice eating things produced within 100 miles of you. Some have wider regions they consider "local". It's all about what you consider local.

I try to eat local a majority of the time. When The Good Husband and I do go out to eat we try to eat a non-chain, locally owned places. I'm not fooling myself into thinking that everything they cook there is 100% locally produced but at least my money stays close to home and the business pays taxes to the fire, police, library and schools I use.

To me that is local enough.

This was the local meal that didn't know it was. Really, I didn't think anything about it until it was on the table and I realized everything - excluding one ingredient was local. I smirked to myself and thought how easy this eating local thing is.

The 100 mile dinner - give or take a few miles - included:
Pork patties bought from a local farm
Butter crisped herb potatoes from the farmer's market
Broccoli and cheese sauce from the farmer's market and local cheese farm
Side salad of blue cheese and walnuts from the farmer's market and local cheese farm
Glass of local wine

No comments: