Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Ice cream and cake! Ice cream and cake!

Ok, not really but it is birthday cake flavored ice cream.

True story - On our honeymoon in Hawaii, The Good Husband and I had a fabulous dinner at our hotel. I had the seared salmon, TGH had the seafood lasagna, quite a stretch for him at the time. I was proud, in love, happy and full. We then went on a stroll on the beach and window shopping.

Then TGH spotted a famous, but not available near us, ice cream place. He ordered a large ice cream and I was so sad that I was so full from dinner I couldn't have ice cream.

Years pass. I hear about how awesome the ice cream place is and I curse my stomach from being full on my honeymoon and not allowing me the seemingly only chance I would have to eat such a wonderful dessert. But a miracle occurred.

The popular ice cream place came to our area. I was able to finally try it. I had the birthday cake batter ice cream since that was the flavor I had heard the most raves about. All the praise was well earned. So it was no wonder that this was one of the first flavors I made with my ice cream maker.

This was also the first ice cream I made that called for eggs. I don't know if it was because the fat content was higher in this but the ice cream mix froze in no time in my machine. I think it froze hard enough to stop the machine (if you have the ice cream attachment for the KA Stand Mixer, you know what I am talking about) within ten minutes. It also froze to rock solid in the freezer.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup yellow cake mix
½ cup sugar
Pinch of salt
3 egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups milk

Directions:
Over medium heat, bring 1 cup of heavy cream, sugar, salt, and cake mix to a simmer. Separately, beat the egg yolks lightly in a medium sized bowl. Add a 1/4 cup of the simmered cream mixture to the egg yolks and mix. This is to temper the eggs and prevent them from curdling when added to the whole mixture. Add a bit more and mix, then add the entire egg mixture to the simmered cream. Stir with a whisk until the mixture forms a thin custard, about 5 to 10 minutes (or it reaches about 175 on a thermometer). Take off heat and add the remaining milk and heavy cream. Stir, then chill in the fridge.

Once the mixture is completely chilled, add the milk and stir in. Add the mixture to your ice cream machine and chill accordingly.

recipe by: The Tasty Kitchen

1 comment:

Mama Hen said...

This looks yummy! I will have to try this. you have a new follower! come visit me at Mama's Little Chick.

Mama Hen
www.mamaslittlechick.com