Thursday, August 4, 2011

Easy Garlic Dill Pickles

We got cucumbers in our CSA way back in week 9. We used one in a salad and the other two I used to make easy garlic dill pickles. I'm not really a huge pickle fan, but I thought this would be a great way to dip my pinky toe into the canning process.

They were super easy to make and I didn't kill anyone with botulism. And I was able to add a shitton more garlic to the batch I wanted to eat. I tried to put the dill and the garlic in the middle of the spears but I don't think the order really mattered. I just wasn't able to get a photo with the garlic cloves visible.

I made these on a Tuesday and they were gone by the weekend. I would make a couple of batches.

Ingredients:
1 quart mason jars with lid
12 ounces of cucumbers (about 6 small or 2 large cucumbers)
3-6 cloves garlic, depending on your tastes
8 sprigs fresh dill
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
2/3 cup white vinegar
1 cup water

Directions:
~Wash the mason jar and lid in hot soapy water, rinse, and let air dry.

~Quarter the cucumbers into four slices each, lengthwise. Cut the garlic cloves in half.

~In an extra mason jar or covered container, combine coriander seeds, sugar, kosher salt and white vinegar. Tightly close the lid and shake vigorously until the sugar and salt dissolve. Add the water to the mixture.

~In the clean mason jar, tightly pack the sliced cucumbers, sliced garlic, and dill. Pour the brine mixture over the cucumbers. Tap the jar on the counter to release any air bubbles and top off the jar with extra water if any cucumbers are exposed. Place the lid on the jar and screw on the ring until it is tight. Leave the jar in the fridge for 24 hours before tasting. The pickles last up to one month refrigerated.

recipe modified from: A Couple Cooks

No comments: