Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pumpkin Spiced Syrup

Well here is a post from a longass time ago that I am just now getting around to finishing. 

Sometimes that's how shit works around here. Anywho, back when I had a house full of pumpkins and didn't know what to do with them, I made this pumpkin spice syrup. The idea was to make pumpkin spiced lattes and I did make a few. But I also poured some of this badass syrup over vanilla ice cream too. That was almost better. 


The original recipe called for the liquid to be strained through cheesecloth. I got impatient and that's why there is some sediment at the bottom of the jar. When I got near the end, I just poured the syrup through a strainer into my coffee or over ice cream. The original recipe also called for cinnamon sticks, which I didn't have on hand. I used ground cinnamon and I am sure that added to the sediment problem.

Ingredients: 
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 cinnamon sticks or 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 tablespoons pumpkin purée

Directions:
~Combine water and sugar in a pot over medium high heat. Cook until sugar is dissolved, stirring constantly.  Add remaining ingredients and cook until combined, whisking often.  Do not allow mixture to come to a boil.

~Strain through a cheesecloth, allow to cool and store in the fridge. 

To  make lattes - add 2 tablespoons syrup for every one shot of espresso and milk to taste.

recipe modified from: this one

No comments: