Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Homemade Seasoned and Italian Salt

I continued my tradition of making homemade gifts for Christmas again this year. Yes, it is almost April and I am talking about Christmas, but this photo got lost in the contents of my hard drive and I just now found it. Oops. 

This year, technically last year, I made a photo book of The Good Daughter to give to my parents and grandparents, along with homemade seasoned salt and Italian Salt. Both of these were super easy and quick to make and I have heard from my mom that she won't use store bought seasoned salt anymore.

 

In fact, I will probably never buy commercial seasoned salt again either, since this recipe is just so damn good. 


Homemade Seasoned Salt
Ingredients:
1/2 cup Kosher salt
1 tablespoon fresh ground pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon ground red pepper 

Directions:
~Stir all ingredients together.

Makes a 1/2 pint jar.



Homemade Italian Salt
Ingredients:
1/2 cup Kosher salt
4 tablespoons oregano
4 tablespoons basil
4 tablespoons thyme
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper

Directions:
 ~Stir all ingredients together.

Makes 2 jars, 1/2 pint each.

I will say the Italian Salt is a little on the salty side. I could see decreasing the salt by as much as half and the recipe would still be flavorful. It might actually make the salt more versatile since the salt flavor will not be the first thing you taste. Feel free to play around with the recipe.

recipe modified from: Eat at Home Cook 

No comments: