Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Veggie Patties

I normally don't eat veggie patties, even though I do like the Boca Burgers, but since going meat free is better for the environment, I thought I would try out a veggie main dish. I saw this recipe on Guy's Big Bite on Food Network last weekend and thought it would be a good first step into vegetarianism.Ingredients:
2 ounces olive oil
3 tablespoons diced red onion
2 tablespoons diced bell peppers, I used red, orange and purple
1 teaspoon diced jalapeno
1 1/2 tablespoons diced garlic
3 tablespoon diced mushrooms, I used regular button mushrooms
4 ounces black beans, drained
4 ounces chickpeas, drained
4 ounces white beans, drained
6 ounces rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves
1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1/4 teaspoon ground sage
2 tablespoons seasoned bread crumbs
1 egg

Directions:
~In a medium saute pan over medium heat, add 1-ounce olive oil and all raw vegetables except beans. Saute until translucent. Remove and cool.

~Add veggies to beans and mix thoroughly. Add all dry ingredients along with the egg.

~Thoroughly mix all ingredients and form into 4 patties, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. I took an 8 ounce container of sour cream, emptied and rinsed and lined it with plastic wrap. I spooned the patty mixture into the container and used the plastic wrap to press it together before putting the patties in the fridge. I also let me refrigerate for longer than 30 minutes, more like an hour.

~In saute pan add 1-ounce olive oil, and cook patties 2 to 3 minutes per side.

To make the sandwich:
I toasted two pieces of multi-gran bread and topped it with romaine, broccoli sprouts, cucumbers and wasbi mayo (1 tablespoon light mayo and 1 teaspoon wasbi paste).

I think I was expecting these to taste like Boca Burgers. They didn't. They lasted like beans and beans only. I thought they would be a little more flavorful considering all the spices I added but really the bean flavor was the only one to shine through. Overall, it wasn't bad, though and I will probably make them again but play around with the spices.

recipe modified from: Guy Fieri

3 comments:

annie said...

Well, they look beautiful. I am impressed that you tried them! I am going to have to try these as well, keeping in mind that they need more spice.

Nice work!

Ms. Foodie said...

I am constantly impressed by your photos! Makes me wonder what took you so long to start a food blog? You are a natural!

The Good Wife said...

Thanks LMW. My camera is a huge part in why I have good photos.

Annie - I think a good pinch of salt and pepper would have gone a long way. I only salted the veggies when I sauteed them and I should have salted every layer.

Also, I don't think it helped I thought I was making Boca Burgers. These were good though.