Friday, December 19, 2008

BBQ Pork Steaks

Nothing says winter like BBQ?

While not the first thing you think of when you think of winter, I was getting a little bored with our same old routine of beef steak and 'taters. The local meat market had some beautiful pork steaks on sale for cheap and I decided the best way to serve them was to coat them in a spice rub and then slather them in BBQ.

Now, I am not from the South or Texas and while I have been to both St. Louis and Kansas, I am not sure if this would be considered "real" BBQ by true fans. I didn't cook it on a smoker and it didn't take hours to prepare but for a Good Wife in a Midwest kitchen, this is the kind of BBQ I create.


The Good Wife Spice Rub
Ingredients:
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon seasoned salt
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
2 large pork steaks
1-2 cups of your favorite BBQ sauce, I used KC Masterpiece Mesquite BBQ

Directions:
~Combine the first ten ingredients for the spice rub and generously coat the pork steaks on all sides.

~Heat the oven to 350 degrees and bake the pork steaks for 20 minutes, turning once.

~Remove the steaks and coat with the BBQ sauce. Return to the oven for 10 minutes.

recipe by: The Good Wife

1 comment:

nicole said...

I am also from the midwest but this sure looks good to me!