Saturday, May 16, 2009

Burrito, in a Bowl

Inspired by my trip to Chipotle and featuring my Salsa Verde, I came up with this dish that is both satisfying and surprisingly light.

There are several different components to this dish and the trick is to season each layer, as well as marinate the chicken. I originally wanted to marinade that chicken with some chioptle peppers, which I thought I had on hand. Turns out I didn't so I substitute crushed red pepper flake for the heat instead. I used a lot of red pepper. Feel free to reduce or eliminate it altogether if you don't want that much heat.

For the marinade:
Ingredients:
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder

Directions:
~Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine.

~Pour marinade over chicken and allow to sit for hour hour or overnight. I allowed this to marinade overnight.

The next layer of flavor I added some spice to the store bought can of organic black beans. I used a combination of onion, garlic, cumin and chili powders (see a pattern here) as well as some lime juice to season the beans. In a small sauce pan, I added the beans, juice and all, to the seasonings and brought them to a boil and then allowed them to simmer on low while I cooked the chicken.

I diced the chicken into bite sized chunks and cooked over medium high heat until no longer pink, about 2o minutes.

To assemble:
In a bowl layer:
3/4 cup seasoned black beans
1/2 cup cooked diced chicken
1/4 cup Salsa Verde
1/8 Pico de Gallo or chunky red salsa
1/4 cup of Cojack cheese
2 tablespoons light sour cream

recipe by: The Good Wife

No comments: