Saturday, May 16, 2009

Salsa Verde

I, or should I say The Good Baby, had a hankering for mexican the other day and I decided to go to Chipolte. I got a super yummy chicken burito bowl with tomatillo green chili salsa.

TGB loved it and it motivated me to try and recreated the dish at home.

First step - salsa verde or green salsa.

I don't think I have eaten salsa verde all that much in the past but I knew I could find all the ingredients at my local store, that is after I googled to find out just what the ingredients were.

For this recipe I choose green chili peppers, poblano and serrano peppers. The poblano is a mild pepper but the serrano is a step up from a jalapeno. If you remove the ribs and seeds from each pepper the heat will be slightly less. Or you can be crazy and leave them all in like I did.

I roasted the peppers under the broiler before processing them in the food processor after they had cooled. When I first tasted the salsa I thought it was a little too hot, that maybe I should have seeded the peppers, but by the next day when I had this for lunch, the heat had mellowed. If anything I would add a more serrano peppers to maintain the original heat level.

Ingredients:
1 can diced green chilies
2 poblano peppers
2 serrano peppers
6-8 small to medium tomatillos, husks removed
Zest and juice of one lime
1/2 tablespoon onion powder
salt

Directions:
~Broil the peppers and tomatillos for 24 minutes, turning after 12 minutes or until the skin of the peppers and tomatillos are blackened.

~Add the peppers and tomatillos to a bowl and when cool enough to handle, remove the charred skins of the peppers as well as the seeds and the ribs, careful to avoid contact with your eyes.

~Combine all the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and blend until the desired consistency.

recipe by: The Good Wife

No comments: