Monday, August 9, 2010

Trip to the Farmer's Market #6 and assessment

This was the first FM we have been to since coming home from vacation. I always get in a weird place after we get home and I am distracted for a week or so. I have to clean everything in the house from top to bottom, which now takes longer since The Good Baby likes to help. I lose track of days and it takes me a while to fall back in routine.

But I have settled now and last Thursday TGB, me and The Good Husband all went to the night market. We came home with potatoes, cantaloupe, blackberries, an eggplant, brats and sweet corn.

We had dinner of brats, 'taters and corn with cantaloupe for dessert.

We had planned on going to the farmer's market on Saturday but then I saw our local zoo was having a breastfeeding walk for World Breastfeeding Week and we decided to go to that instead. Post to follow.

Sadly the farmer's market season is just more than half way finished. There is only 12 weeks more to go. I should start buying produce to can and freeze now for the winter. I will have to make a list of what all I will need. I will also have to clean out the pantry.

It has been fascinating to watch the different produce come and go from the market. Strawberries have been replaced by peaches. Tomatoes and sweet corn have arrived, as have melons and black- and rasp- berries. Zucchini and summer squash are preparing the way for acorn and butternut. Veggies like green beans, 'taters, onions and peppers have been a staple, available at almost every market.

For someone that never thought about food seasons before and the origins of food, it has been a valuable lesson for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've only been eating in season for about a year now, and it IS fun to see how things change over the weeks.