Monday, October 18, 2010

My 200th Post! Cloth Diaper Update

It has now been over a year since I have been using BumGenius one-size, all-in-one diapers for The Good Daughter. And generally we have loved them. There are days that I complain about extra laundry but I complain about the amount The Good Husband seems to generate so it's not all about the baby.

We did develop a small problem of leaking at night. It seemed that the BG, even with an additional insert just couldn't contain everything for the 12 hours TGD is sleeping. This presented a bigger problem since we co-sleep and waking up in a huge pile of pee in the middle of the night has lost it's charm since college.

Thirsties Diaper Duo in (l-r) white, honeydew, ocean blue, storm cloud, orchid

So I consulted a few friends who CD and was told about Thristies Diaper Duos. We used Thristies in the beginning, when The Good Daughter was still small and we were using prefolds and covers. I really liked Thristies and never had any problems with them.

So I hopped online to my favorite local diaper shop, Pinstripes and Polkadots, and be still my beating heart if they didn't come in prints.

After a year of looking a solid colors, it was nice to have a change of pace.

Thirsties Diaper Duo in (clockwise from upper right) Alice Brights Print, Cool Stripes Print, Blackbird Print, Warm Stripes Print)

But the best part is the insert is made of two liners buttoned together, one hemp and one microfiber, so it is super absorbent. Like Thirsties covers, it featured a double gusset at the legs which help keep all the mess contained. We have used them now for 2 weeks and have yet to have one leak. Thank god, since washing sheets daily was getting old. I did have to prep the hemp liners and I washed them a total of 5 times in a hot wash before all the oils had washed away and they were good to go.

While these are an one-size diaper, they do come in two sizes, Size 1 and Size 2, to really fit up until potty training. The Size 2s I got will fit up to a 40 pound child. TGD is 23 pounds, so we have a while to go before we run out of room in these things.

My new stash

Another huge plus is the insert actually agitates out in the wash, so I don't need to pull it out before tossing it in the diaper pail. Both the top and the bottom are open so it will just shake right out.

I also ordered some more cloth wipes, which brings my total to 54, but between all the pre-folds, covers and AIOs, I think my stash is now complete. It needs to survive through at least 2 more babies, but I think it will hold up.

These are a little more bulky on TGB but for now it is her nighttime diaper only. By the time she is ready to wear it during the day, she should be bigger so it shouldn't be as bulky.

I was not paid for this review. I just really love to talk about CDs.

1 comment:

Shanea said...

I love to talk about cds too. My stash consists of a lot of BGS too, I just started feeling the BG love again after a bit of a hiatus from pockets. I haven't tried the Thirsties Duo Diapers yet and I probably won't with ds as he is nearing the end of his run in diapers (I hope anyway). Thanks for sharing and thanks for a good read!