Thursday, June 2, 2011

Asparagus Crepes with Mushroom Dill Sauce

One of the things I said I love about my CSA is they give recipes every week for the veggies we get in the share. It gives me a ton of inspiration so none of the food goes to waste. This week I was inspired by a recipe for asparagus crepes with mushroom dill sauce. Since I had everything but the mushrooms on hand, this was an easy dish to make. And despite the fact the recipe seems long, I was able to make it in about 25 minutes.

This would be great for Meatless Monday. The Good Daughter and I had it for dinner the other night when The Good Husband was out for a boys night. While I love him and he has come a long way in expanding his acceptable foods list, I think this might be slightly over the line for him.

But I really loved it and TGD did too.

It was also the first time I ever made crepes and I did ruin the first three, so there is a learning curve. But once I got the first one out successfully, I got more confident and didn't ruin any more.

Ingredients:
For the crepes:
1/2 cup pastry flour
1/4 teaspoon Salt
3/4 cup milk

For the sauce:

1 teaspoon oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 small thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup white mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon flour
3/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons fresh minced dill
2 tablespoons fresh tarragon
2 teaspoons lemon juice
Salt & pepper to taste

For the filling:
24 stalks asparagus

Directions:
To make the crepes:
~Combine flour & salt in mixing bowl. Make a well in the center & pour in the milk & oil. Beat till smooth. Heat a 6 or 7-inch skillet. When hot, pour in 1/4 c of batter & tilt skillet till it's evenly coated. Cook over moderate heat till lightly browned on the bottom. Flip & brown the other side. Remove & set on a plate. Repeat with the rest of the batter. You should have 6 crepes.

To make the sauce:
~Heat butter in a small pot. Add onion & garlic & saute over moderate heat till onion is golden. Add mushrooms & cover. Cook till the mushrooms are limp & juicy. Sprinkle in the flour & stir till it disappears. Slowly pour in the milk, stirring. Bring to a simmer, then stir in the dill & tarragon. Cook at a simmer till the sauce thickens. Stir in the lemon juice & season to taste. Remove from heat & cover.

To make the filling:
~Trim about 1/2-inch of the asparagus stalks & scrape off any tough looking skin. Cut stalks in half & steam till tender crisp.

To assemble:
~Place 6 asparagus stalks in the center of each crepe, letting the tips protrude from the top & overlapping the halved stalks in the center if necessary. Spoon a very small amount of sauce over the asparagus. fold one end of the crepe in towards the center & overlap the other end over it. Arrange the crepes, folded side down, in an oiled, shallow baking dish. Spoon remaining sauce evenly over the crepes.

~Bake in a preheated 350F oven until just heated through. Serve at once .(Since all of the components of the dish were hot, I didn't bake them. I just served them immediately with the sauce on the side.)

recipe by: Jeanne Veenstra

No comments: