Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

At the Farmer's Market last weekend, I bought both strawberries and rhubarb to make pie. I've never had strawberry rhubarb pie before and other than a small bite of rhubarb scones I made two years ago, I've never really had rhubarb.

But The Good Husband will eat the shit out of S/R Pie, or some I'm told. So I made it.

I still need to work on my pastry skills. I had a really hard time getting the dough to stick together and then off of the counter to put in the pie pan. I also need to remember to take the foil off the edges of the pie at some point when it is cooking, so I don't end up with the weird tan line looking thing above.

But the filling was nice and thick and not at all runny. And TGH did eat the shit out of it, so I guess it was ok. I also had a higher strawberry to rhubarb ratio b/c I snagged the last bunch of rhubarb from the FM and it was less than 2 pounds.

Ingredients:
For the crust:

2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup cold butter, cut in small pieces
1/4 cup shortening
6 to 8 tablespoons ice cold water

For the filling:
1 cups rhubarb, chopped
4 cups de-stemmed, strawberries halved
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons minute tapioca
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons butter, cubed small
1 egg white beaten with 1 teaspoon water

Directions:
For the crust:
~ In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water until mixture forms a ball. Divide dough in half, and shape into balls. Wrap in plastic, and refrigerate 30 minutes.

~Roll out dough on a floured counter to make bottom crust. Place into a pie dish. Put dish in refrigerator to chill.

For the filling:
~Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

~Mix the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, tapioca, flour, zest and juice of lemon, dash of cinnamon, and vanilla. Mix well in a large bowl and allow to sit for 15 minutes. Pour into chilled crust. Dot the top of the filling with the butter. Brush edges of pie crust with egg white wash. Roll out the other piece of dough and place over filling. Crimp to seal edges. Brush with egg white wash and garnish with sugar. Collar with foil and bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Decrease temperature to 375 degrees and bake for an additional 45 to 50 minutes, or until the filling starts bubbling.

No comments: