Tuesday, October 7, 2008

French Fried Onions

Like any good Midwestern girl, I love fried vegetables, especially onion rings. But I have always been scared to make them. I don't know what struck me as particularly scary about making homemade onion rings, but I never did try. Until I saw this recipe for onion strings on The Pioneer Woman's website.

I was amazed at how fast and easy these were to make and they provided for a great topping for homemade burgers. I foresee great use of this recipe now that Thanksgiving is coming up and I always get stuck making green bean casserole.

Ingredients:
1 large onion, I used one medium white onion
2 cups buttermilk, I used two tablespoons of lemon juice plus enough milk to make 2 cups
2 cups flour
1 scant tablespoon salt
Lots of black pepper
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper, I omitted
Canola Oil

Directions:
~Slice onion very thin. Place in a baking dish and cover with buttermilk for at least one hour.

~Combine dry ingredients and set aside. Heat oil to 375 degrees.

~Grab a handful of onions, throw into the flour mixture, tab to shake off excess, and PLUNGE into hot oil. Fry for a few minutes and remove as soon as golden brown.

recipe by: The Pioneer Woman

1 comment:

annie said...

Mmmm, these look amazing!! I am in awe!