Monday, December 8, 2008

The Good Wife Party Mix

Mmmm. Party Mix.

I am not old enough to have seen the height of the home party mix craze in the 70s. I had only know party mix as the kind you get in the bag at the store. The horror!

Once, a few years ago, my grandma made the original, old-fashioned kind and I was hooked. I had to make it and I had to make it for every party there was. Then I discovered Peanut Lover's Chex Mix at the store and I was torn. How could I incorporate all the peanuty goodness of PLCM with all the traditional flavors of the original Party Mix?

I experimented and I developed this very tasty Party Mix: The Good Wife Party Mix!

The two main secrets to my party mix are: 1. Use real garlic and 2. Use both dry- and honey-roasted peanuts. I also don't add pretzels, just because I am not a big hard pretzel fan but feel free to add pretzels if you like them. Oh and I don't add the wheat Chex either.

Ingredients:
4 1/2 cups Corn Chex cereal
4 1/2 cups Rice Chex cereal
1 cup dry roasted peanuts
1 cup honey roasted peanuts
1 cup garlic flavor bagel chips, broken into 1-inch pieces
6 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
3 to 4 cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Directions:
~Heat oven to 250°F.

~In large bowl, mix cereals, nuts and bagel chips; set aside. In ungreased large roasting pan, melt butter in oven. Stir in seasonings. Using a garlic press, press 3 to 4 cloves of garlic, depending on your love of garlic flavor. Stir in cereal mixture until evenly coated.

~Bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Spread on paper towels to cool, about 15 minutes. Store in airtight container.


The addition of the real garlic cloves really add a nice roasted garlic flavor to the mix and the two contrasting peanuts enhance the flavor of the mix.

recipe by: The Good Wife

1 comment:

annie said...

Mmm, I love Chex mix and yours looks awesome. Do you ever make Muddy Buddy, with the chocolate, peanut butter, and powdered sugar, then into the freezer? That stuff is amazing, cheap, and delicious.