Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Roast Beef Tenderloin

First let me apologize to all vegetarians reading this post. This is probably akin to a slasher movie for vegetarians, and I am sorry, but I love meat so much that I have to blog about it.

This again is one of the foods I am not supposed to be eating due to scary bacteria and a low immune system due to pregnancy. But, damn it, I am almost 8 months pregnant and I wanted some rare meat. This actually turned out a little more rare than I wanted it, but it was still delicious.

This was the first time I have had beef tenderloin in anything other than a steak or a fried sandwich. I wasn't quite sure how to cook it but after reading my copy of The Joy of Cooking, only two options were given - roast or grill.

I didn't feel like having The Good Husband mess with the grill, so I decided that roasting it would be the way to go. Roasting made for an easy dinner. I just slathered it with oil and spices and threw it in the oven. It took a little longer to roast since the meat wasn't thawed all the way and I ended up getting rather impatient and just pulled it out before it reached medium rare. But it was so delicious. You could cut it with your folk.

Ingredients:
Small beef tenderloin roast (about 3-5 pounds)
Oil or butter, I used canola oil
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
Grill seasoning, a palm-full
Seasoned salt, half a palm-full
Black pepper, half a palm-full

Directions:
~Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

~Combine the oil and the spices and rub generously over the entire roast.

~Place roast in a shallow roasting pan and roast for 25 to 45 minutes until the roast as reached the desired doneness. (I cooked this roast for about 45 minutes and it was almost too rare for me.)

~Remove from oven, cover with foil and allow roast to rest before carving.

~Slice meat as thin as possible and serve.

recipe by: The Good Wife

But you might be asking yourself what to do with all the leftovers? From this roast TGH and I were able to enjoy a hearty roast beef sandwich of super sharp cheddar, horseradish and red onions for lunch the next day and a steak salad the next night.

No comments: