Friday, June 28, 2013

Chocolate Roll Out Cookies

I lived my life for 31 years before I had seen or tasted a chocolate roll out cookie. Isn't that so depressing? Don't you feel sorry for me?

Well don't, because now I know how to make them. And you can too!!

It all started when I went to a baby shower for a friend. She had these cute chocolate roll out cookies in the shape of a onsie. I might have had more than a few. A few days later, I asked her where she got them and she said a friend had made them. So like any sane person, I stalked her FB friend list until I found the friend of a friend and messaged her with a plea to send me the recipe. And then I waited and waited. I saw her commenting on my friend's photos and statuses. Why wasn't she messaging me back?!? WHY WOULDN'T SHE GIVE ME THE RECIPE!!?!? I SEE YOU ONLINE!!!!! You are playing Candy Crush RIGHT NOW!! GIVE ME THE COOKIE SECRETS!!!!

And then she did. And I thanked her and offered to clean her house from top to bottom.



These are, hands down, the best chocolate cookie recipe ever.

Excuse my shitty decorating skills here. I clearly need to work on it, a lot. But really, these cookies were so good, it didn't matter if I did a shitty icing job.

They are thick and chewy and dense and rich. The icing provided just enough sweetness to balance out the cookie.

Ingredients:
1 cup butter
1/4 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
2/3 cup cocoa
3 or 3 1/2 cups flour
 

Directions:
~Cream butter, shortening and sugar together. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix well. Add baking powder and salt and mix again. Stir in the cocoa until well blended. Add flour 1 cup at a time.

If baking the same day: Add 3 1/2 cups flour. 
If chilling the dough: Add ONLY 3 cups. 

~Roll out cookies to 3/16" thick on lightly floured surface. Bake at 375 F for 7 minutes.Cool and decorate.

recipe by LilaLoa

No comments: